Week 9 - Possibilities for Social Change

Due: 1pm, FRIDAY, October 26; must be uploaded to dropbox

This week, I’m asking you to consider the possibilities for social change. Anthropologists (and students taking anthropology classes) can often be very good at noticing social change, analyzing it, or registering its shifts in society. It is less common for people to be willing and able to articulate both changes they would like to see happen in society and a clear sense of how those changes could be realized.

In this week’s essay I’m asking you to clearly articulate something you would like to change in society -- American society, UVA local culture, or anywhere else --
and a sense of how a person or group of people could push that change into existence. Please be careful to suggest a goal and articulate a concrete means to that end. You are welcome to describe any social change you would like. Please do not feel limited by current political discussion. You might want to make it a point to describe how structure and agency might shape what you would like to change.

Make your answer at least 300 words but, as always, I’m happy to accept longer writing if your ideas warrant it.