Thursday, August 28
Introductions and Discussion
No reading or questions due

Friday, August 29
Required Advising Meetings -- sign up via Collab for one slot either today or on Tuesday (see below)

Tuesday, September 2
Required Advising Meetings -- sign up via Collab for one slot either today or the previous Friday (see above)

Wednesday, September 3
Short writing assignment due at midnight to your Collab dropbox folder.

Thursday, September 4
Group discussion

Wednesday, September 10
Short writing assignment due at midnight to your Collab dropbox folder
Two discussion questions due to me (via email) by midnight about this week’s reading.

Thursday, September 11
Reading due: William Derziewicz. 2014. “What Is College For?” from his Excellent Sheep: The Miseducation of the American Elite and the Way to a Meaningful Life. New York: Free Press. Pages: 77-87.

Wednesday, September 17

Thursday, September 18
Reading due: Introduction and Chapter 1 in How Children Succeed. Pages xi - 48.
** Be sure to bring your copy of the book with you to class. If you are using the library reserve copy, please bring that. If you have trouble with this, let me know.

Wednesday, September 24

Thursday, September 25
Reading due: Chapter 2 in How Children Succeed. Pages 49-104.

Thursday, October 2
No assignments due.
This week we are exploring the library together. Please meet in Alderman library’s electronic classroom, just off of the Scholar’s Lab on the 4th floor. You can ask at the front desk if you don’t know where this is.

Wednesday, October 8
Two discussion questions due to me (via email) by midnight about this week’s film.

Thursday, October 9
Viewing due: Race to Nowhere. 2009. Vicki Abeles and Jessica Congdon, dir. 85 minutes.
You can watch this film through Collab / Kaltura Media Gallery / Site Library. The video quality will be much better if you watch it on grounds.

Wednesday, October 15

Thursday, October 16
Reading due: Chapter 3 in How Children Succeed. Pages 105-147.

Wednesday, October 22

Thursday, October 23
Read this short article about Global Citizenship. We will be joined by Ms. Leah Barber from the Study Abroad Office for our discussion.

Wednesday, October 29

Thursday, October 30
Reading due: Chapter 4 in How Children Succeed. Pages 148-175.

Monday, November 3
Required individual advising meetings for each student. Please sign up on Collab. You have to have this meeting before you can register for classes for the spring term.

Wednesday, November 5

Thursday, November 6
Reading due: Chapter 5 in How Children Succeed. Pages 176-198.

Wednesday, November 12

Thursday, November 13
Reading due: A Butterfly Flaps Its Wings and You Find a Job.
Ms. Trisha Hongcharti will be joining our conversation as a representative of UVA’s Career Services.

Group Reflection and Discussion.
Please think about the following questions and come to class prepared to share your thoughts:
What have we been doing and why?
How has your sense of the point of college changed over the semester (if it has)?
What do you now understand to be the answer to: what’s the point of college?
What can you imagine your answer being to that question in ten years?

Thanksgiving Break - no class

Unfortunately, I have to cancel this session because I am going to the annual conference for the American Anthropological Association and my panel was scheduled during our class time. I dislike canceling class, but I figure that at this point in the semester, you all probably could use a bit more time to relax and recover or continue preparing for finals.