Books
We will read three books together. They are available for purchase at the bookstore and also on reserve at Clemons library:
Elisabeth Bumiller. 1995. The Secrets of Mariko: A Year in the Life of a Japanese Woman and her Family. New York: Random House.
Yuko Ogasawara. 1998. Office Ladies and Salaried Men: Power, Gender, and Work in Japanese Companies. Berkeley: University of California Press.
Joshua Roth. 2002. Brokered Homeland: Japanese Brazilian Migrants in Japan. Ithaca: Cornell University Press.

Grading and Requirements
Lecture Participation: 10% of final grade
Section Participation: 25% of final grade
Short Writing Assignments: 15% of final grade
First Paper: 15% of final grade
Second Paper – first draft: 15% of final grade
Second Paper – second draft: 20% of final grade

Class Participation
I expect all students will come to class ready to apply what they've read to our class discussions. Please ask questions and share your ideas – and be aware that I will regularly ask this of you in class. Here is more information about weekly discussion sections.

Office Hours and Consultations
I am always happy to talk with you, via email or in person. Please come to my office hours, and bring your ideas, musings, and / or rough drafts. I believe writing and learning are long-term processes and I will reward students who take this seriously. I am happy to talk through your ideas. You can sign up for office hours with me through Collab. If you’d like to set up an appointment with Kuni, your TA, please email him directly.

Academic Honesty
My policies conform to the University of Virginia’s policies. Let me know if you have any questions.

Late Work
I will accept work turned in past its deadline but the grade will be reduced three points for each day late. I am quite strict about this and the time recorded by Collab’s dropbox is the official time I use. If something is due at 5pm and it comes in at 5:01pm, it will lose 3 points. If you have trouble meeting deadlines, I strongly recommend you convince yourself that work is due earlier than it really is.
Dropbox = Official Clock
All assignments must be uploaded to your dropbox folder on the Collab site. You will also get your graded assignments returned via dropbox. The dropbox clock -- the time with which your assignment is tagged when you upload it -- serves as the official clock and will be how I judge lateness. It is your responsibility to make sure you’ve uploaded the correct file.

Luddite policy
Despite being a firm believer (and user) of technology, I have a strict policy against laptops and cell phones during our class meetings. Students are not permitted to use laptops to take notes – for reasons such as this, I believe we all learn better with fewer distractions and, unfortunately, laptops are a huge distraction. If you have a special circumstance that makes your laptop necessary for learning, please come and talk with me about it.

Attendance
Students are expected to attend all class meetings, and be prepared to think, talk, and reflect in them. I will make all lecture presentations available on the course website, and will also record all the course lectures and discussions. If you miss class you have the responsibility to listen to what you missed.

Course recordings and slides
All class meetings are recorded (using an audio recorder). Those recordings are available through iTunesU, which you can access through Collab. To find them, log in to Collab, click on Anth 2370, and then the “iTunesU” tab. The recordings can be downloaded like a podcast. All lectures slides are also on Collab, under resources / presentation slides.

The Discomfort Caused by Anthropology
It is quite possible that things we read, watch, or discuss in this course might make you uncomfortable. Although I am certainly not trying to shock you, the course materials include people with very different beliefs and experiences. Throughout our time together, I ask two things of you: 1) Without overly censoring yourself, please be respectful of other people; 2) If and when you feel uncomfortable, please take time to reflect on your own reactions, rather than taking "discomfort" as an automatic negative. Feel free to talk with me at any point or articulate your discomfort in our discussions.