Short Papers

There are two short papers required in this course, due on Friday, October 9th and Friday, November 6th. They each should be between three and five pages (double-spaced, 12 pt. font, Times New Roman font) and directly address a question, theme or topic that has come up in this course.

For each paper, you are required to turn in a rough draft of a thesis statement one week before the paper's due date, on Friday, October 2nd and Friday, October 30th. This is to give you a chance to put words on paper, to begin to think through the paper you'll write the following week. You'll get comments back from me well before the full paper is due.

Although I am always happy to talk through ideas with you and read drafts, I will not assign you a topic for any of these papers. Thus you'll need to create your own topic for each paper from the course readings, films, lectures and discussions. Think about what you're interested in, what you think might be important, or what surprised you. In this process, it might help to look at the questions fellow students are asking about the course materials. It is perfectly acceptable, and highly recommended, to form your paper's thesis around one of these questions.