Research on Child Custody, Abduction, and the Hague Convention in Japan

I am currently conducting research on people’s experiences with child abduction, custody, and the family law system in contemporary Japan. For more information about the research, please read the project background here. I am conducting this research with parents and other family members involved in custody disputes, lawyers, politicians, and non-governmental organization groups involved with the issue, in Japan and in the United States. My intention is to produce academic writing based on this research, which I will make publicly available in both English and Japanese. I am also aiming to create policy briefs on these issues to help policy makers in both countries.

I understand all these topics to be very personal, but my research focuses on actual people’s experiences around these issues. Therefore I am looking for people who might be willing to share their experiences and opinions with me. I have no particular agenda, nor am I looking for particular examples. I would be grateful for, and would surely learn from, any experience or opinion a person is willing to share with me. I am happy to speak with people of any nationality, and can conduct interviews in English or Japanese.

If you might be willing to talk with me, or would like more information about my research, please contact me or explore this website. All research will be made completely anonymous and I will be happy to answer any questions or concerns you might have. My research interviews can be shaped around each person’s preferences, and interviewees are welcome to decline to answer questions I ask. I am currently based in Tokyo, but would appreciate communicating with people in any location. My research includes substantial travel and / or regular conversations via skype.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. Please feel free to pass it along to anyone who might be interested, and do not hesitate to contact me with any questions you might have.

This research is generously funded by an Abe Fellowship, administered by the Social Science Research Council.