Grading, etc.

This is a two-credit mini-course, which means it has a lighter workload than "regular" courses. But this is also an intensive course, with 2 credits of work in just half the semester.

The course requirements include three ongoing categories. Rather than build to a large project or paper at the end of the semester, the course is designed to create light but steady work throughout our time together.

Discussion Participation: 30% of final grade
Reading Quizzes: 30% of final grade
* Discussion Questions: 30% of final grade
* Surveys: 10% of final grade

* = Items marked with a star are graded credit / no credit.

There is no final paper, project, or exam in this class.

The grading and assignments in this course are designed to give lots of different kinds of opportunities for success and to provide different contexts for every student to shine. Let me explain the logic behind this system:

Discussion Participation - Discussions are the vital heart of this course and I have designed them to offer you many opportunities to engage key concepts and course materials. We will talk about how best to create a productive discussion space for everyone, but generally in every class we will have a homework quiz, space to voice confusion or questions, open discussion (based partially on the discussion questions you submit), and other activities related to that week's materials. In the first week, we will create a rubric together for participation.

Discussion Questions - Every session, I ask you to submit four open-ended discussion questions related to the homework due that week. Please click here for more information about the assignment.

Reading Quizzes - Each class session, you will have an opportunity to answer short questions about the homework assigned. I designed these quizzes because many students told me that they find it helpful to have some slight reward / pressure to complete the homework for any class. The quizzes are never designed to be tricky or mean and the best way you can prepare is by completing the homework (reading texts or watching films). In an early class, we will talk together about strategies for active engagement with homework materials. To prepare for the quizzes, as you're reading please look for 1) the central claims of the text; 2) the methods the author used to gather data; and 3) the stakes / significance of this argument according to the author. There will be plenty of space for you to disagree with the author in our discussion, but the quizzes are opportunities to make sure we understand what the author is arguing before we move on to questions and critiques.

Surveys - Throughout the semester, I will ask you to complete some short surveys. They help me get a sense of how you're feeling, and therefore what changes I should make to our course plans. They are never quizzes and any answer is fine.

Using Devices in Class
In class, I ask you to take notes on paper rather than a device (computer, tablet, etc.). If you need to use a device to bring the reading, that's fine, but please only use it to refer to the text. In general, devices can be extremely distracting, for you and the people around you, so I ask that you don't use one unless you need it. If you do, please reach out to me and we can figure out an accommodation. Also remember that I will always (audio) record the classes for students who have missed it.

Grade Breakdowns
A+ (98 and above), A (94-97), A- (90-93)
B+ (88-89), B (84-87), B- (80-83)
C+ (78-79), C (74-77), C- (70-73)
D+ (68-69), D (64-67), D- (60-63)
F (59 and below)

Final grades will not be rounded up.