FAQ

[About the header image.]

I'm confused about how the course has changed since we moved online. Where should I start?

Good question! We have outlined all the changes on this page. You are also welcome to email Prof. Alexy or your GSI if you have specific questions. The syllabus page is updated now, so all the deadlines and requirements you see there are correct.

Is there any place I can see all the weekly deadlines and assignments in one place?

Yes, we have put them all here. Please pick your specific section because the weekly deadlines shift slightly depending on when your section meets.

Given everything that is happening, I am unable to complete some work for this class. What should I do?

We completely understand that you are busy with other things and, as Prof. Alexy has said in her lectures, we totally expect that your coursework will not be (and should not be!) your priority right now. We are happy to give extensions, talk with you about how to modify your final project, and brainstorm with you. Please email Prof. Alexy and / or your GSI as soon as possible when you realize that you unable to do some of the work and we will be happy to work with you to figure out plans for moving forward. Remember, too, that the university has announced a new grading system for the system, which hopefully might reduce some stress around grades.

What is the new grading system for this semester?

Here is the overview from the Registrar's Office. Basically, instructors will still calculate the grades as usual but these will be converted into either P (for Pass) or NRC (for No Record Covid). All grades that are a C- (70.0) or above will be a P, and all grades below will be a NRC. If you want to convert your P into a regular letter grade, you will be able to do so through Wolverine Access. See the instructions here, under Question 3. Notice that you will be able to see the letter grade before you decide if you want to convert it or not.

What is the new policy for late drops?

Now students can "late drop" a class until 11:59pm on Friday, April 3. Here is more information about how it works.

What is the new policy for withdrawing from a class?

For the winter 2020 semester, there is a new policy allowing students to withdrawal from any course as late as April 21, 2020, the last day of classes. For this semester only, if you withdrawal there will be no "W" on your transcript. I do not yet know how or if you would receive a refund on your tuition money. Please contact your advisor or the Registrar's Office for more information.

Because of the Covid pandemic, I really need money and / or other help. What resources are available at or near UM?

This is just a list of the resources we know about but please check out:
1) This is a list of virtual resources for those affected by COVID-19 in Southeast Michigan. The services include counseling, financial aid, food assistance, and programs for seniors & children with special needs in Oakland, Washtenaw, and Wayne counties.
2) The UM Dean of Students is available to help with emergencies.
3) If you need money, you can get some emergency funds from the Provost’s Office.
4) There is also a “food bank” right near central campus. This is a place like a grocery store but all the food is free. You can take whatever you want or need. Please note the specific hours it is open.
5) LSA has Emergency Scholarships.
6) It might be possible for you to borrow a laptop or other technology from LSA Technology Services.

I have had some personal experiences that make it hard to talk or read about some of these topics. What should I do?

Of course the choice is entirely yours, but I hope that you will consider taking this course even if the syllabus includes difficult or triggering topics. As I explain here, I never want to traumatize or re-traumatize anyone. Please reach out to me or your GSI to think through alternative assignments. You definitely do not just have to "power through" a difficult topic.

Can I drop any grade in this course?

No, you can't. As explained on the Requirements page, there are a lot of different ways to do well in this course. We have specifically design assignments to reward different skills and abilities. So, for instance, there are very regular assignments that are credit / no credit, meaning you can get all the points by turning it in on time. This is designed for students who might feel less sure or confident of the materials, to give you very low stakes assignments in which you can ask questions and try to figure things out. The reading quizzes are designed to reward students for taking the time to engage the homework materials. No reading quiz grades will be dropped.

I'm on the waitlist. What can I do to get into the course?

Typically courses this large have some churn at the beginning of the semester. Some students who enrolled end up dropping, giving some students on the waitlist an opportunity to enroll. That said, we cannot tell if this will happen, or if you personally will be able to get into the course. If you are on the waitlist, my recommendation is to attend lecture and section, so that you will be caught up if the Fates make it possible to get off the waitlist. Neither Prof. Alexy nor your GSI can issue any overrides because we cannot ask any GSI to be responsible for extra students.

I'd like to switch to another section. How can I do that?

Once you have enrolled in the course, the only way you can switch to a different section is to drop the course and re-enroll in the course again in the new section you want. As you might guess based on the previous answer, there is some risk that you will not be able to re-enroll because there is no space in the section you want. That said, of course you are welcome to try! Keep in mind that a section can look like it has an open seat when, in fact, it is full because an override has already been sent out. If you want to transfer into a section and you can see a waitlist for that section, please understand that it's full.

Do sections meet the first week?

Yes, they do. Our first sections will meet on Wednesday 1/8, Thursday, 1/9, and Friday 1/10. We will do lots of important work in the first sections, so please plan on joining in. Also remember that section will include a reading quiz about this course website. You can prepare by reading through this website, familiarizing yourself with what we'll be doing together throughout the semester.

Are discussion questions due the first week?

No they are not. Because there is no reading due the first week, you do not need to turn in discussion questions before section in Week 1.

How can I figure out what is due each week?

Good question. Other than the first and last week, you have reading or homework due each week. Those assignments are detailed on the syllabus. Every week after the first week, you also need to submit four open-ended discussion questions by noon on Wednesday, which will be used during your section meeting. In section, you will also have a reading quiz each week. Many, but not all, weeks you will have some short writing due at 5pm on Friday. Your paper is due in Week 10 and the Final Project is due on April 29th.

Can I turn in work early?

Yes, you're welcome to submit assignments as early as you want.

Can I turn in work late?

Yes, you're welcome to submit most work after a deadline. Late work will lose three points per day from the grade. However work that is graded credit / no credit can not be submitted late (because there is no way to subtract three from "credit.") That means weekly discussion questions, the surveys assigned in Week 1 and Week 14, and the assignment in Week 3 cannot be submitted late.

Do I need to buy an iclicker?

No, you do not. We will use paper cards to gather your comments or responses to specific questions in lecture. We will provide those cards.

Do sections meet the last week?

Well, that depends on how we define the "last week." The last sections will be on Wednesday 4/15, Thursday 4/16, and Friday 4/17. The final lecture will occur after those sections, on Monday, April 20.

Does this course have a final exam?

It does not. The course has no exams at all but weekly writing, one midterm paper, and a final project. If you're planning travel, that means you do not need to be on campus during our assigned exam period.

How can I sign up for office hours to talk with my GSI or Professor Alexy?

We would be very happy to talk with you! Please click the following links to sign up for an appointment. If our regular office hours don't work for your schedule, email any one of us and we'll do our best to find another time that works for everyone.

Professor Alexy - Thursday, 9 to 11:30am and by appointment

Mari Alvarez - Thursdays, 1 to 3pm, and by appointment

Victoria Bell - Wednesdays, 11am to 1pm, and by appointment

Emily Coccia - Fridays, 2 to 4pm, and by appointment

Lena Gankin - Tuesdays, 2 to 4pm, and by appointment

Kuni Hirano - Tuesdays, 9 to 11am and by appointment

Val Kutchko - Wednesdays, 11am to 1pm, and by appointment, Lane Hall G112

Laura Malecky - Tuesdays 4 to 5:15pm; Wednesdays 3 to 3:45

Mark Natividad - Thursdays, 11am to 1pm, and by appointment

Sydney Tunstall - Tuesdays, 12 to 2pm, and by appointment

How can I make my weekly writing response stronger?

Good question! Here is the rubric we use to grade weekly responses. Take a look at it as you write or revise your responses. If you would like to discuss strategies please consider talking with Prof. Alexy or your GSI in office hours.

How will the midterm paper be graded?

Here is the rubric we use to grade the midterm paper. Notice that you are required to turn in a solid rough draft (of at least 1200 words) in week 8.

I missed a lecture. How can I see / hear the recording?

The lectures are video and audio recorded and posted to Canvas as soon as possible after lecture each day. You can access them by looking for the lecture page (not your section page) on Canvas and then Lecture Recordings. Email Prof. Alexy if you have any problem accessing them.

Where can I find the lecture slides? When will they be available?

Lecture slides will be posted after each lecture, on the lecture Canvas page / Files / Lecture Slides.

How can I earn extra credit?

Prof. Alexy is happy to offer extra credit as an opportunity for you to engage with some of the amazing events that will occur on our campus throughout the semester. She will announce extra credit opportunities in lecture or via email. If you are interested and able to go, you attend the event and write a reflection about it that is at least 350 words long. Then, on the Canvas page for lecture, you upload that reflection to Canvas / Assignments / Extra Credit / specific event. Each extra credit reflection is due one week after the event takes place and will be graded as credit / no credit. There will be at least ten extra credit opportunities offered throughout the semester.

How many points, or how much credit, comes from each extra credit opportunity?

This is a great question that we won't be able to fully answer until the end of the semester. Right now, my guess is that each extra credit opportunity will end up counting for between 0.5 and 1.0 total points. Because I am trying to give as many extra credit opportunities as possible, and I am adding opportunities as I learn about them, I don't know how many total opportunities will occur throughout the semester. I strongly suspect there will be more than 40 opportunities, but I also understand that everyone has very busy schedules, so it's unlikely any student would be able to attend most, or even many, of those. By the end of the semester, when we know the final number, I will calculate how much each individual event will count for. It might seem small, but 0.5 or 1.0 points will add up really quickly! By comparison, each time you attend lecture it is worth 0.2 points over the whole semester.

Edited in April: Given that students were given 30 extra credit opportunities, each one is worth 0.5 points toward the final grade.

What's the technology policy for this class?

In general, the policy in this course is that laptops and phones are not allowed. If you have a specific learning need served by a piece of technology, please reach out to Prof. Alexy, and she will be happy to help accommodate your needs.

Can I use a tablet (like an ipad or kindle)?

Yes, you can, as long as you use it in class only for readings, not general goofing off on the internet. We ask you to bring the readings to every discussion section. If you want to put the readings on a kindle, iPad, or other e-reader that is fine. Please not that, as stated above, laptops are not acceptable unless you have spoken with Prof. Alexy.